It's still legal for LGBT+ people in the UK to be subjected to conversion therapy. This harmful practice, which seeks to suppress, “cure” or change a person’s sexual orientation and/or gender identity, is taking place right now.
We know that 7% of LGBT+ people have been offered or undergone conversion therapy. People are targeted in medical, psychiatric, psychological, religious and cultural settings. These are places everyone should feel safe.
The UK Government has released its proposals for how it intends to restrict - not ban - conversion therapy in legislation, allowing adults to 'consent' to what the UN defines as torture - and falling way short of the full ban that is needed.
The Labour Party is proudly committed to an outright ban of conversion therapy - and now we need our entire movement to tell the Government that their proposals don't go far enough.
This is our chance to make sure that not only is a ban introduced, but that it is comprehensive and has no exemptions, so that no LGBT+ person is subjected to this abuse.
Fill in the consultation now!
We recommend you fill in the consultation on your desktop as you’ll need two windows:
- Open the UK Government’s consultation page in one window.
- Use this guide from Stonewall, and keep it open in another window while you fill in your answers section by section.
It will take you about 30 minutes, but every minute will be worth it. We know that anti-LGBT+ groups are organising for this consultation - we must do the same.
Encourage others to fill the consultation!
There are lots of ways you can encourage others to fill in the consultation - including family, friends and colleagues.
- Forward this email to your contacts
- Share this page on our website
- Share our Twitter, Facebook and Instagram posts
- Include it in your Branch, CLP, Trade Union or Socialist Society emails
- Post it in the Labour social media groups you're a part of
Together, we can show the Government that their proposals just don't cut it, and that they must go further.